Barrels out of Bond
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- Using what you know from what you’ve read and the title of this chapter, what can we expect by the end of the chapter? What do you think will happen by the end of the book?
- Why wasn’t Bilbo captured by the wood elves?
- Describe the King of the wood elves*?
- What kind of burglar is Bilbo*?
- What was one of the possible reasons Gandalf left Bilbo and the dwarves?
- In what way is Laketown different from other settlements?
- Why is Laketown important to the elves?
- What is Bilbo’s “desperate plan” to save the dwarves?
- Do the dwarves like the plan?
- How does Bilbo convince them it’s the best plan?
- What is Thorin like (simile) when he’s placed in a barrel*?
- Wy was Bilbo all alone*?
- At this point in Bilbo’s life, what has learned to truly appreciate? What happened to him so he could learn to appreciate what before had been commonplace?
- What do you think of Bilbo’s plan to save the dwarves? Was there any other way to save them? Do you think the dwarves survived or perished?
- What’s changed since the beginning of the book and what’s different about your opinion and any ideas you have about where The Hobbit is going next?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.