Riddles in the Dark
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- my precious
- creepsy and tricksy
- Before you begin reading, what do you think this chapter is about?
- What did Bilbo find that would make his occupation easier?
- What is Bilbo’s occupation?
- If you had to guess (and you have to guess), how do you think Golem got into the cave, on his little island, living on goblin meat and blind fish?
- What does Golem call himself?
- What are the terms‡ of Golem’s riddle game?
- Write a riddle§.
- What happens when Golem can’t answer Bilbo’s last riddle?
- Did Bilbo ask a riddle? Explain whether or not Bilbo’s riddle was fair.
- What was Bilbo’s opinion of The Riddle Game*?
- What is Golem’s birthday-present?
- At what point does Golem realize his birthday-present is missing?
- What does he decide to do?
- What does Bilbo do?
- Does Bilbo ever trust Golem? Support your answer.
- How does Bilbo finally find the way out?
- What’s Bilbo’s first obstacle he has to overcome?
- What’s Bilbo’s second obstacle?
- What does Bilbo lose when he’s finally free?
- What do you think will happen in the next chapter?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.
‡ — Basic rules and penalties of the game. In this case, the game is asking and answering riddles.
§ — A logical question in three parts that leads to a specific (and logical) answer.