Over Hill and Under Hill
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- What do you think this chapter is going to be about?
- How does Bilbo feel at the beginning of the chapter?
- Do you think anyone is excited to be on an adventure?
- What does this tell us about real adventures?
- Once in the mountains, during the storm, who was out and playing?
- What did Bilbo do in response to the crack in the wall?
- Why do you think Bilbo wishes for his hobbit-hole?
- Describe the Goblin Cavern.
- How does Tolkien describe goblins*?
- How does Tolkien describe what goblins make*?
- Why do you think Tolkien chose to describe goblins and what they make in the way he did?
- What is the goblin’s name for Thorin’s sword?
- What is the goblin’s name for Gandalf’s sword?
- How do you think Gandalf got into the goblin cave?
- What happened to Bilbo at the end of the chapter?
- What has changed about your thoughts in regard to the book and how the story is going?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.