A Short Rest
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- voice of hurrying water
- fair nonsense
- What do you think will happen in this chapter (based on the title and what you’ve read so far)?
- What obstacle is Bilbo in awe of?
- What are the three (3) options in terms of the obstacle*?
- Where does Elrond live?
- How was the path marked?
- Describe the path into Rivendell.
- What is “…a very foolish thing to think…”?
- Why do you think they referred to Thorin as “father”?
- What kind of story is quickly told and boring?
- What kind of story is interesting and takes a while to tell?
- Describe Elrond*.
- What event marked the end of Bilbo and the dwarves stay in Rivendell?
- Write one of the stories the elves might share with Bilbo or other visitors†.
- What name is given for Thorin’s sword?
- What name is given for Gandalf’s sword?
- Where does Elrond think the swords came from?
- What are moon letters and how do you read them?
- Describe how Bilbo writes.
- What (if anything) changed about what The Hobbit is about or how the story will take place?
- Did Bilbo and his company find out anything important?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.