Vocabulary (to interpret)
- dry patch
- the mischief
- gorgeous row
- Based on the chapter title, what do you think will happen by the end of this chapter?
- Who gave Bilbo the note from “Thorin & co”?
- What was Bilbo’s biggest concern after starting out with the dwarves?
- What color was the hood and cloak Bilbo was given?
- When Gandalf showed up, what did he bring with him?
- How could people tell Bilbo wasn’t a dwarf*?
- Who shared Bilbo’s opinion of meals? Describe what that opinion is*?
- “________ “can make a fire almost anywhere out of almost anything, wind or no wind….”
- Who can make fires?
- Who is the best at it?
- Why do you think a lack of a fire is important†?
- What was the signal Bilbo was supposed to use if he got into trouble*?
- Who or what does Bilbo see?
- What kind of language do they use*?
- What would a first class burglar do?
- How did Bilbo get caught?
- What do the trolls call Bilbo?
- Please explain: … cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.
- Why didn’t Bilbo run away from the trolls?
- What happened to Bert, Tom, and William?
- What’s the reason given for what happened?
- Gandalf tells the dwarves something about the trolls. What was it?
- What does Gandalf and Thorin find?
- What does Bilbo find?
- Adding what you now know about The Hobbit, what do you think the book is about? How has your opinion changed?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.