The Last Stage
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- nine days’ wonder
- What day did Bilbo and Gandalf return to Rivendell?
- Where had Gandalf been after he left Bilbo and the dwarves?
- How loud does Bilbo snore (according to the elves*?
- What was Bilbo doing as he passed familiar places from the first part of the adventure?
- How did the ponies feel (see anthropomorph) when Gandalf and Bilbo add more bags of gold?
- What was happening when Bilbo and Gandalf finally made it back to Bag End?
- The sign on Bilbo’s gate indicates Bilbo’s name, Bilbo Baggins, Esquire. Esquire indicates a specific area of education and employment. What was Bilbo’s employment before he went on his adventure (based on his name)?
- Other than spoons, what did Bilbo lose?
- What did Bilbo do with his sword?
- What did he do with his mail?
- What did he do with his ring?
- What was the fate of The Master of the lake town?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.