The Return Journey
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- What is this chapter going to be about?
- After Bilbo regains consciousness, he tries to draw attention to himself only to find out what?
- Why was the man (who found Bilbo) on the hill?
- When Gandalf sees Bilbo, what’s his first observation*?
- How do Bilbo and Thorin part?
- What does Bilbo do after he speaks to Thorin?
- Why did the Eagles show up?
- Who else showed up?
- How big was the other person who showed up to battle the goblins and wolves?
- How many parts of the goblin army was slain? What was the result?
- What was the ultimate fate of the Arkenstone?
- In addition to Thorin, who else (of the original party) died during the battle?
- Who is the new King under the Mountain?
- In the end, what was Bilbo’s take in the treasure*?
- What company did Bilbo being his journey home?
- Who was with Bilbo?
- What does Bilbo give the Elven king?
- The Elven king names Bilbo an elf-friend, what do you think that means‡?
- As the Tookish part of Bilbo started to get tired, what did Bilbo really want?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.
‡ — Being named elf-friend is a big deal within the world Tolkien created.