The Gathering of the Clouds
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- laid dry
- What do you think the chapter is going to be about?
- What does Thorin mean when he says, “there are many carrion birds as if battle were afoot!”
- What had the ravens been (before Smaug)?
- Who used to live above the guard post?
- What was the name of the hill they were on?
- What happened when the thrush head talk of the ravens?
- What tongue did the raven use?
- How old was the raven*?
- What was Roacs counsel?
- Did Thorin take it?
- What did Roac think of Thorin’s plan?
- How did the dwarves fortify the mountain?
- As Thorin grew happy, what happened to Bilbo?
- What were Bard’s demands of the dwarves?
- Do you think they were reasonable?
- Do you think Thorin was right or wise in how he responded to Bard?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.