Fire and Water
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- the black East
- arrow storm’
- Who or what is this chapter about?
- Do you think Smaug’s fate will be revealed?
- What do the men of Laketown think when they see fire on the mountain?
- Who is the King Under the Mountain, according to the naysayer?
- What do the men think is happening when the river and the valley turn golden?
- What’s really happening?
- What was keeping Smaug from destroying the town?
- What would’ve happened had Smaug dived into the water?
- If you were Smaug, what would you do?
- What was The Master going to do?
- What kind of a person is The Master?
- Why is Bard important?
- What’s his lineage?
- What was the name of Bard’s arrow and how old do you think it was?
- Who most likely made the arrow?
- Do you think Bard is going to get the arrow back?
- How did Bard know where to shoot the arrow?
- Would you be surprised if a little bird landed on your shoulder and started chirping and you were perfectly capable of understanding the birds language?
- What do the townsfolk think of The Master*?
- After Brad reappears, what change do the people make?
- What does Bard want>
- Do the people agree or disagree with Bard?
- How did The Master sway the people?
- What changed with Bard?
- Is Bard in any way like the dwarves?
- What brings the elves and the goblins and everyone who hears about Smaug to the Lonely Mountain?
- What do you think is about to happen? How has Tolkien set this up from the beginning?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.