Not at Home
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- living stone
- What do you think is going to happen in this chapter?
- Bilbo and the dwarves sit in the dark for a long time not daring the make a noise, what happens when they get bored?
- Bilbo wanted a light so he could look around, what did he have to do to get one?
- Thorin adds a role to Bilbo, in addition to burglar. What is that role?
- After Bilbo finds the Arkenstone, what does he decide about the jewel?
- Which one of the dwarves is most willing to help Bilbo when his torch goes out?
- What caused Bilbo’s torch to go out?
- As the dwarves look for Bilbo, the spy the gold and treasure, what happens to their hearts? Is this going to be a good thing or bad thing for Bilbo?
- Why were the harps still in tune?
- What do the elves call the silver-steel?
- In your own words, describe the Great Chamber of Thror??
- How far away is the look-out post at the South-West corner of the Mountain?
- By this point, Bilbo is complaining about his last meal. How many meals did he miss?
- Describe cram.
- What did the dwarves ignore before Smaug attacked?
- What might have been different had the dwarves not ignored their security in favor of luxury?
- What happened to Smaug?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.