Vocabulary (to interpret)
- wrought and unwrought
- Who is Bilbo quoting when he says ‘third time pays for all?’
- What do you think ‘third time pays for all’ means?
- Do you think the dwarves are brave?
- Who agrees to go with Bilbo and why?
- What condition is placed on dwarves (like Thorin and company) for them to be decent enough*?
- What are the dwarves most concerned about (hint: it’s not Bilbo)?
- Bilbo is now a different hobbit. What’s the defining characteristic that shows the difference?
- What was the “bravest thing [Bilbo] ever did?”
- Describe Smaug?
- What did Bilbo steal from the sleep Smaug?
- What do you think it means “to put their families … at his service?”
- “Then he missed the cup.” Do you think a dragon as big as Smaug could really know every ounce of treasure in his hoard?
- What was the color of Smaug’s flames when he landed on the mountain top?
- What do the dwarves do when they realize they can’t get away and they can’t move forward (hint: it has to do with the hobbit)?
- “Every worm has his weak spot,” does what for the story?
- What advice does Smaug give to Bilbo? Do you think this is good advice or bad advice? What do you think Bilbo should do?
- What is dragon-talk and what was it doing to Bilbo?
- What was Bilbo’s new saying that passed into proverb?
- What are the three kinds of dragon slaying Bilbo and the dwarves discuss?
- Smaug knows the lake-men helped Bilbo and the dwarves, what’s he going to do to the lake-men?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.