On the Doorstep
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- Desolation of the Dragon
- queer feeling
- Based on what you now know and what you can infer from the title of the chapter, what is going to happen next?
- How long did it take Bilbo and the dwarves to catch up with the horses, ponies, and stores?
- Were the men (humans) willing to guard the stores or stay the night with Bilbo and the dwarves?
- In your opinion, why do you think the area around the mountain is uninhabited and desolate?
- When Bilbo and the dwarves observe the gate to the mountain, what do they see?
- What did Bilbo and the dwarves (most likely only the dwarves) do after they found the door?
- What condition was set earlier in the book on how to open the door‡?
- What are Bombur’s reasons for not going up to the door*?
- How did Bilbo find the keyhole?
- What do you think of this resolution to the latest obstacle?
* — Direct quotes used as your answer.
† — Before reading on you need to a) think about the question, and b) do your best to answer it in the context of what you are reading.
‡ — You don’t need to be precise, just close. It’s easy to forget.