An Unexpected Party
Vocabulary (to interpret)
- Who is the protagonist of The Hobbit*?
- Who is the author of The Hobbit?
- Please describe what Bilbo Baggin’s Hobbit Hole looks like*:
- On which side of the house (as described in the book) do the bedrooms face?
- When Bilbo first uses “Good morning,” who is he talking to?
- Describe how Bilbo first sees Gandolf the Grey*.
- What was Bilbo’s mother’s name?
- What is Gandalf’s purpose in visiting Bilbo?
- What does Gandalf the Grey do before leaving Bilbo’s home?
(hint: there are two things)
- On Wednesday, for tea, who shows up?
- What did Bilbo do in regard to all of his unexpected guests?
- Why did the dwarves come to Bilbo Baggin’s house?
- What’s the name of the dragon?
- How does Gandalf suggest the party get into the mountain?
- Why is this a good route for the dwarves and Bilbo to take?
- What adverb is used to describe Bilbo’s determination†?
- What do dragons do*?
- What is the dragon’s favorite thing to eat (according to Thorin)?
- What do you think Thorin means when he says “[To] bring our curses home to smaug…“?
- What is Gandalf’s “as usual”?
- Based on this chapter (and only this chapter), what do you think the rest of the book will be about? What adventures (if any) will Bilbo become involved in?
* — You want to use direct quotes, or word for word, from the book to answer these questions. You may embellish you answer with how you imagine the place to look in addition to what J.R.R. Tolkien describes things.
† — An adverb typically ends in -ly and this one is not a normal adverb as adverbs go.